Saturday, August 11, 2012

Chicken Stock

Today we decided to try our hand at making a traditional chicken stock.  We bought a chicken carcass and heads and feet.  I had big R handle the carcass, so actually this is is his stock.  Here's what it looked like pre-simmer.

So, according to the traditional foods experts the head feet are supposed to add amazing nutrients and gelatin to your stock.  I'm so glad that hubby was available to handle this part.  Do you see my big two gallon jug of kombucha?  It's almost kombucha day!  Yay!


I don't know if you can make it out, but the head is at about 2 o'clock there in the picture above.  It wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be.


This just cracked me up as well as creeped me out!  I felt like we were doing some sort of witch's brew or something.  It smells amazing though!  I think I'm going to be hungry all day.  It's been simmering since this morning.  We will be having chicken and rice soup tomorrow night.  I can't wait!  I'm going to soak the rice starting tomorrow morning.  I'm also going to make some vegetable soup with the left over stock.  Should be yummy!!

Also on the agenda for my kitchen tomorrow is gravy and biscuits and banana bread.  Mmmmmm!  Don't you want to come over?!




No comments:

Post a Comment